Monday, March 4, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Spinach Quiche

This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  You know, the iconic red-and-white checkered one.  My mom has had a copy of it for longer than I can remember.  Then my younger sister got a copy and it got wet and some of the pages got ruined so she gave it to me and got a new copy.  I don't use the book nearly as often as my mom did (she didn't have Pinterest, after all) but it's still my go-to cookbook when I know what I want to make but don't already have a favorite recipe for it.

Anyway,  Rock had never had quiche when we got married and so I made this for him.  Actually, when I said this is the recipe from the book, well, it's not quite the same.  Over the years I've made some changes to make it cheaper/more convenient for me.  I made it right out of the book that first time.  Now he gets this version and he's never noticed the difference.  The kids really like it too.


Spinach Quiche
1 pie crust
1/2 chopped onion
6 slices bacon, chopped
8 eggs
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c milk
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
dash ground nutmeg
3 c lightly packed chopped fresh spinach (in a pinch, I'll use 2 cups frozen)
1 c shredded mozzarella
Line crusts with foil and bake in 450 oven for 8 min. Remove foil and bake 4-5 min longer.  Reduce oven  to 325.  Cook onion and bacon in skillet.  Drain.  Beat eggs in bowl.  Add next 6 ingredients.  Add remaining ingredients.  Pour into pie crust.  Bake at 325 about 45 min or until knife comes out clean.  Let stand 10 min before serving.

Enjoy!
Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment