Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

My husband spent two years in South Africa before we were married and this was one of his favorite recipes.  I rather suspect the dish is more English than African, but then again, most of the food he ate there was...

Anyway, while he was there, he bought a South African cookbook in the hopes that his mom could replicate some of his new favorite foods.  It never happened and not long after we were married, I discovered the book and found some really great stuff inside.

This is almost straight from that cookbook.  Of course, all of the measurements are metric so I had to do some converting and, over the years, I've tweaked it to fit our family's tastes better.

So, here it is:

Baked Macaroni and Cheese
My 12 year old daughter made this.
1 lb macaroni
6 eggs
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t mustard
4 c milk
3/4 lbs shredded sharp cheddar
2 T butter
1 tomato cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 325.  Cook the macaroni until done.  Drain.  Beat eggs, add seasonings and milk.  Add the macaroni and the cheese and spoon into a large greased oven dish.  Dot with butter.  Garnish with tomato wedges.  Bake for 60-90 min until middle of casserole is set.

Although I have cut this recipe in half, it still makes quite a lot.  Feel free to halve it again...

Enjoy!
Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment