Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mandarin Spinach Salad

I went to a dinner at the church the other night where they served soup, salad and rolls. Since there are so many people in our family, we are usually asked if we want to take home some of the leftovers and that night was no exception. I went home with a gallon of taco soup, three-fourths of a bag of tortilla chips, a gallon bag half-full of shredded cheese, and another bag full of this salad plus the dressing for it.

I absolutely fell in love with the salad! When I fed the leftovers to my family the next night, they loved it too. So I'm sharing the recipe with you. I'm not sure who's it is but if I figure it out, I will let you know. Since I've never actually made this, I'm not sure of the amounts but I'll do my best to guesstimate and you can adjust according to your needs.

So here goes:

Mandarin Spinach Salad
3 cups romaine lettuce- torn into bite-size pieces
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 can mandarin oranges- drained
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 red onion- cut up
1/2 lb mushrooms- sliced
8 oz bacon- cooked, cooled and cut into bite-size pieces
lemon poppyseed dressing
Toss everything together in a bowl and serve.

Notes:  I'm thinking this recipe will make enough salad for about 4 people as a main course.  Of course, I could be way off as I am used to cooking for twice that many.  
When I make this for my family, I plan on just setting out all of the ingredients separately and letting everyone decide what they want in their salad- everyone wins!
I love the lemon poppyseed dressing on it but Rock and Eli prefer a raspberry vinaigrette.


This photo is actually of the day-old leftovers so it doesn't look quite as nice but it was still delicious!  (And it has the raspberry dressing instead of the lemon.)

Enjoy!
Korrina


No comments:

Post a Comment