Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy

I made up this recipe last night out of stuff I already had in the house.  This is the kind of recipe I used to make a lot when Rock and I were first married- when we were poor and I really had to work hard to provide variety on a budget.  The ingredients are simple as is the food- nothing fancy here but the family really liked it.

You can use purchased meatballs (as I did) or you can make your own.  I don't have a recipe for that but I'm sure a quick Google search will provide you with lots of choices (probably too many).

So, on to the recipe:

Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy
1 1/2 lbs turkey meatballs
1 pkg mushroom gravy mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
cooked rice or egg noodles
If the meatballs aren't pre-cooked, fry them in a little hot oil until cooked through.  If they are the frozen kind, just thaw them.  Mix the gravy mix and soup together in a large saucepan until smooth; add the water gradually to keep it from going lumpy.  Stir in the mushrooms and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Keep cooking until gravy thickens.  Add the meatballs and heat through.  Serve over cooked rice or egg noodles.

Enjoy!
Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment