Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

This is my mom's noodle recipe and my own soup recipe.  She's been making these for as long as I can remember.  When I was little and there wasn't much money, she used to brag about how she could make a whole chicken last an entire week.  This is one of the recipes she did that with.  I know it doesn't look like much but when my kids saw on the menu that I was making this last week, they all started jumping up and down and cheering.  I think I could safely say that this is the most popular dish in our house.  It's that good.  In fact, I usually triple it so there's enough.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
1 cup flour
1 egg
2 quarts water
1 cup chicken, diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 packages chicken gravy mix
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 chicken boullion cube
1 pinch salt and pepper
2 cups mashed potatoes (optional)
Boil celery, carrots, onion, chicken, and boullion in the water until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, mix flour, egg, and enough water to make a soft (but not sticky) dough. Roll out thin on a floured surface and cut into noodles. Add noodles and gravy mix to soup and cook 10-15 minutes or till noodles are tender and broth has thickened a little. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.  (We never ate it with the potatoes in my family but hubby's family did, so we always just make it an option.)

You can substitute turkey for the chicken if you are trying to use up holiday leftovers.

Enjoy!
Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment